Back in the day, comedian Dana Carvey played a character called Church Lady on Saturday Night Live. On of her trademark lines was “Isn’t that special?”.
In Kentucky, in response to the Supreme Court’s ruling in favor of marriages between same sex couples, Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis refused to issue marriage licenses to any couple, gay or straight. When a federal judge ruled that Ms. Davis has to issue licenses, she refused. She is now in jail and will only be let out once she agrees to hand out marriage licenses without prejudice.
Ms. Davis claims that her religious beliefs dictate that marriage between same sex couples are wrong. She is entitled to her opinion and her beliefs, as we all are.
However, there are facts about her life that are laughable in context of her refusal to issue the marriage licenses.
- She has been married four times.
- Two of her children were born out of wedlock.
- She is part of a denomination of Christianity called the Apostolic Church, where the Bible is taken literally.
- I’m no bible scholar and I have never claimed to be, but doesn’t the bible say “love thy neighbor as thyself?”.
- I also seem to remember something in the bible about a woman having a child outside of marriage. It’s not a good thing.
What I find interesting is that she would refuse to give marriage licenses to same sex couples who have been together for many years, who are loyal and loving to their partner as any straight person. But yet, she has been married four times and two of her children were born outside of marriage.
Isn’t that special?