Every year, for one weekend, Janeites across the country gather together at the JASNA AGM to celebrate all things Austen. This year, the AGM will be held in Kansas City at the end of September. The subject is Persuasion and with a little luck, Amanda Root, who played Anne Elliot in the 1995 Persuasion will be in attendance.
Below, are the five reasons to attend the 2018 JASNA AGM:
- The chance to travel to cities that you otherwise might not have visited. Last year’s AGM was held in Huntington Beach, California. I can say now that I’ve been to California, which I couldn’t say before last fall.
- You get to meet Janeites from across the country and across the world.
- The speakers are amazing. The variety of subjects that relate to Jane Austen and novels are nothing short of dizzying.
- The Emporium is heaven. T-shirts, books, tea, etc. Every year, I have to remind myself that there is only so much room in my suitcase.
- Last, but not certainly least is the ball. Not everyone dresses up or dances, but it is certainty the highlight of every AGM, for me at least.
This is one trip I am looking forward to. Perhaps I will see one of you there.