It is a truth universally acknowledged that when one election cycle ends, another begins.
Now that the 2022 midterms are in the rearview mirror, the focus is on the 2024 Presidential election. As of last month, President Biden has not said he will not run in 2024, nor has he said he will run.
The question is, is there enough support among both the voting public and the political Democrats class to support him?
Earlier this week, the question was posed on WNYC‘s The Brian Lehrer Show.
The argument for and against are as follows:
- He took a political lemon and made lemonade: Given the mess he was handed in 2021 (and what has happened since then), I think he has done a good job of bringing us back to some version of normal.
- Compared to his predecessor, Biden has kept his promises and has genuinely led the country.
- He understands the job and who he is responsible for.
- He comes off (to me at least) as an everyman. Biden wants the US and her people to thrive. He is not interested in pursuing politics for personal gain.
- He is 80 years old. If he does win in 2024, will he have the cognitive ability to handle whatever comes his way?
- At the end of the day (as good as he is), Biden is just another old white man. Do we really want to pretend that in 2022, that the only people who can lead are Caucasian men of a certain age?
- We are a divided nation, that is a fact. One of the things I disagree with him about is that he thinks we can still negotiate with the right. Given the behavior of the Republicans in the past few years, I think we all have to be more realistic.
- Overall, we need new blood in politics. Preferably younger, female, possibly LGBTQ, and not Caucasian.
Only time will tell if Biden runs in two years. But the one thing that I do know is that I thank G d every day that he is President.
P.S. What is up with the Republican’s obsession with Hunter Biden? There are far more important issues to deal with than Hunter’s alleged (and private) past business dealings.
7 thoughts on “Should President Biden Run Again for President in 2024?”